New articles are published every Monday and sometimes in between.

Friday, June 1, 2012

Renewing my membership in NASW and getting a pin

I young woman called me yesterday on my cell phone from NASW membership services to inform me that my membership had expired in April, 2012 and it would cost me $190.00 to renew for a year. We chatted for a while and she told me she was actually calling from Florida and is a student at Nova University and hopes to become a dentist. We then talked about the suicide rate for dentists and wondered about why it is so high and then she said maybe she would also consider doing something else in the health care field. We had a delightful conversation and then got cut off.

I called the number back and got some woman who was much more abrupt and business like and tried to tack on more fees for specialty groups, and then for the ACSW, and I probably could of got a break because I am retired, but since I am still working part time in my private practice I didn't ask for it and why would I want to be a cheapskate when it comes to my professional organization and a profession which has treated me so well and of which I am increasingly proud as I continue to practice?

I am very aware that I am at a time in life when I should, and I want to, give back what I can to my profession, and NASW does a reasonably good job, and I am thinking that in a very small way my continuing my membership keeps the Social Work Profession alive and publicly acknowledged because of the good work that NASW does.

The business like lady said they would be sending me a pin.

"A pin", I asked?

"Yes, a pin", she said.

I can't wait to see it and I am wondering what the hell am I going to do with a pin?

1 comment: