New articles are published every Monday and sometimes in between.

Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Health care and human services are NOT profit making enterprises.


I don't operate my practice for profit, and as a Social Worker I see people in need of service regardless of their ability to pay. It's an ethical commitment when I joined the profession and is required in our code of ethics.

I realized when I chose the profession I would never get rich and could make a lot more money in many other professions. I chose Social Work though because of my values which have served me well for 54 years even though I often worked 2 and 3 jobs to derive enough income to support my family of nine children.

How mental health professionals ever chose to sell their souls to the insurance companies still mystifies me. I realize it is a slippery slope and people get sucked in slowly below their conscious awareness. Nonetheless when it becomes increasingly clear that the devil is in charge of the system, what makes people cooperate?

No comments:

Post a Comment